Thursday, September 25, 2008

Hemphill returns

The Return of Hemphill

As I was walking down the line of competitors outside the Award Office, bribing them to check out NRAblog.com, I came across NPSC legend Philip Hemphill, pictured above during his NRAnews interview.

I asked him how it felt to be at NPSC for the first time in a decade as a non-competitor. "It feels strange," he said. "It's really hard because I always want to help people, but as a referee, you just can't. If I see someone with a bad stance, I want to go over and help them. It's hard to keep from giving advice."

This echoes the remarks NRA President John Sigler made last night when presenting Hemphill with the Law Enforcement Officer of the Year award. "He is always willing to help, particularly new shooters, even right before a competition when he knows he needs to be focusing on the game," Sigler said.

No comments: